So wondering how to send medicines to USA from India? Many people think that importing medicine from India is not possible. This is not true.
Food and drug administration allows a person to import a 90-day supply of foreign manufactured drug, if it meets the following conditions.
Conditions to send medicine to USA from India
- The medicine is for serious condition and effective treatment is not available in U.S
- The product does not represent unreasonable risk
- The importer affirms in writing that the drug is for personal use
- Importer provides his name and address
- Provides evidence that the drug is for continuation of treatment that began in foreign country
U.S. Customs and Border Protection message
As a general rule, the Food and Drug Administration does not allow prescription medications to be mailed to the U.S. However, if you are here temporarily and need to be sent your prescription medication. You should do these things.
Ask your physician to write a letter explaining that you are under their care.
Explanation of why they prescribed the drugs .
The letter should also explain the circumstances for sending the drugs to you, including that you are a citizen of (whatever) country.
That you are temporarily in the U.S. for travel, study, etc.
And finally, that you have either run out of your medications, lost them, etc.
CBP informally detains medicines. An FDA inspector examines the package before clearing . So mark the outside package with a statement that the package contains a physician’s letter. This helps the CBP Officer to be proactive in bringing it to the FDA’s attention. A better option is to send the package by a courier service like DHL/FeDex . They know how to flag the package so that their U.S. Customs broker will be able to tell the FDA about the special circumstances for sending the package.
To allow courier or post to clear the shipment, you must provide the following documents.
- Drug name (trade/generic)
- Dosage and drug manufacturer
- Description of the continuing condition the medication is used to treat
- Original prescription from foreign country
Order some medicine organizers below
Shipment Details Information to send medicines to USA from India.
- Importer Name
- Waybill Number
- Phone Number
- Social Security Number
- Reason for importing shipment
- Medicine Information
- Medicine trade Name
- Generic Name
- Is this medicine available in the U.S.?
- Does the medicine need a prescription for purchase?
- Is it available for purchase over-the-counter?
- Prescription Information
- What is this medication used to treat?
- What form is the medicine?
- Dosage prescribed.
- How many units (doses) are in the shipment?
- Doctor Information
Send the tracking number and photograph of the prescription to the receiver.
Once the package reaches US. The easiest way to get it delivered is to ask the receiver to call DHS/Fedex office and mention that they are expecting a package with medicines. They will ask questions like
- Waybill Number
- Sender and receiver name
- Doctor’s name
- Medicines name
- Reason for importing
- What aliments you have
In the next day or two the package is delivered. (Takes 2–5 days and costs 2500–3500 INR)